Monday

Vendor Spotlight: Hello DJ

Anything I say about Lisa Ng of Hello DJ just wouldn't be enough. She is not only an fabulous DJ and a versatile entrepreneur, but she is also one Hip, Urban Girl!

Her knack of knowing her client's music tastes and their guests 'flavour' is incredible and she makes sure the entire room is up, dancing and enjoying the night. It's her mission to provide an unforgettable and fun-filled night and she delivers 100% of the time!

The pleasure was mine when she made time in her very busy schedule to be interviewed for our blog!
 
Q. When/How did you decide that DJ'ing was your 'calling'?


A. I really loved performing and actually set out for a career in acting and musical theatre. I think DJ-ing is the perfect combination of my love for performance and music. I also have a passion for planning events and was always the unofficial social director in whatever group I was in. My personality is pretty outgoing and I'm a people person. So working in the events industry is perfect for me.

Q. How did you come up with the name 'Hello DJ'?

A. My husband came up with it! He said it was like Hello Kitty :) I thought it was really cute and fit the fun, pink brand that is hello DJ! I'm also a big Hello Kitty fan. I have a toaster that burns her face into my toast.

Q. How did Hello DJ get started?

A.
I started the company in the last year of my degree in Political Science from the University of Toronto. It was something I started to help pay for school - I always kept tabs on music and grew up listening to a lot of different genres. I'm crazy for 90s hip-hop, but am also a serious Edge 102.1 listener and love my share of rock/alt and indie. I'll also sing along to Top 40 in my car, so my tastes are pretty open and I just brought my female approach to DJ-ing. I also worked at a bunch of different record stores while growing up, so I was exposed to stuff I normally wouldn't have picked up. My niche as a female DJ grew very quickly and became a full-time company by the time I graduated. It's now been almost six years!

Q. What sets you apart from other DJ's?

A.
I love details. I would rather have more information than less. I try to get to know my clients as best as possible and ask lots of questions about their guests, that way I can build a good playlist in my head for their reception. We're also a small, boutique DJ company. Means when you meet with me, I'll be your DJ. We never farm work out and we're not a big box DJ company.


Q. What 5 tips can you give a couple looking for a DJ?

A.
1) Don't book the cheapest DJ out there, sometimes you really do get what you pay for
2) Hire a professional! Avoid using a friend or amateur - they usually panic, realize how much work it is and drop out at the last-minute
3) Make sure you click with the personality of the DJ you are booking. If it's not a fit, that's OK - there's a DJ out there for you.
4) Book at least one year or more in advance to ensure you get the DJ you want
5) Make sure your DJ carries back-up equipment in case anything gets damaged or malfunctions on the day of your event.

Q. What are the most important questions a couple should ask a DJ before booking with them?

A.
When sending an inquiry, do try to give as much information as possible so the DJ can properly put together a quote. We like to know the date, venue, guest count and basic elements of your wedding and ideas you have for music style. Once we can determine our availability and the price is within budget for the client, we can move forward to a consultation. Do also ask that the DJ you meet with is going to be the DJ at your event. If not, ask if you will be able to meet with your DJ before the wedding.

Q. Are there any misconceptions that couples have that you'd like to clear up?

A.
We're not all cheesy! Cheesy is cool, but we understand that it's not for everyone. Which is why aim to be a hip, fun and young DJ company.

Q. Do you feel it is important for a couple to hire a Wedding Planner? Why?

A.
Yes it is important to hire a wedding planner, because they are your insurance policy and advocate. They make sure that your interests come first and not the worries of the venue, florist or anyone else. It's nice to let go and not worry about things being bumpy because you have a wedding planner to do that for you and to keep your event on track.

Q. Any upcoming news or promos you'd like mention?

A.
Please visit our blog to read all about the life of a hip + urban girl DJ in the city @ www.hipurbangirl.com

Lisa Ng
hello DJ!
Blog - The Hip & Urban Girl's Guide:
Follow on Twitter:
(416) 891-8440

***Hello DJ has moved to St. Lawrence Market!***
39 Jarvis Street, Unit #612
Toronto, Ontario
M5E 1Z5

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice information.thanks for sharing.

Jfk Airport Limousine