Monday

Vendor Spotlight: Jennifer Images

Having had the pleasure of working with Jennifer of Jennifer Images, there were a few things that stood out to me as far as her 'Creative Eye', so to speak.


a. She doesn't skip a beat. She is so in-tune and focused on her couple that she truly captures the personal and intimate moments between them.

b. She is honest to a fault!  She will never lead a couple to believe they are getting something they are not.

c. She absolutely, positively, LOVES her career and all her couples.  You can see this from the minute you meet her and go through her portfolio. She speaks about her past clients as if they are family.

d. She is proud of her work! This is my favorite quality in her.  Being proud of what you have captured and delivered, means you have surpassed even your own expectations.  It shows that to her every wedding is unique and she does not shoot the same 'typical' images for every couple. She is one-of-a-kind, and I look forward to working with her for many years to come!



I was lucky enough to interview Jennifer and she graciously shared her great insight with all of us, including tips to help you decide on a photographer, should you hire a planner and even some questions to ask before selecting your photographer. Here is what she had to say.

Q. When did you decide that Photography was your 'calling'?

A. Almost 8 years ago I decided that life was to short to spend the majority of my time doing something I disliked.  I had always loved photography and wanted a career that allowed my creativity to grow.  With my husbands encouragement I went back to school and shortly there after opened Jennifer Images.
 
Q. How did the company get started?

A. The company got started as a result of much drive, determination and enthusiasm.  I was so thrilled to be doing something I loved that I jumped in with all of my heart and soul.  I started doing portraits for friends, work colleagues and family.  Then the referrals started to come in and one thing led to another.  Eventually I left my full time job and worked solely for myself. 
 
Q. What sets you apart from other photographers?

A. This is a question I used to struggle to answer, but over the years I suppose I've narrowed it down to a few key points.  First and foremost would be me.  My enthusiasm for what I do, coupled with my integrity and keen business sense allow me to be fun and responsible at the same time.  I do what I say I will do and I don't make promises I can't keep. I also believe that my style has evolved over time, and my work has been defined as having timeless elegance.  I like to equate it to the kind of timeless elegance seen in amazing women like Jackie Onassis and Grace Kelly.


Q. What 5 tips can you give a couple looking for their 'ideal' photographer?

A.  1. Don't base your decision on price.   As in almost anything in life, you get what you pay for in  wedding photography.  While it's true that not everyone can afford the most expensive wedding photographers, I think that it's important to understand the value of your wedding photos, and then to prioritize this accordingly.   There are many do it yourself projects that can be done beautifully when planning your wedding, and many areas where you can cut back on your budget.  Unfortunately, your wedding photos are one of the only tangible objects that will not only remain after the wedding itself, but for decades after that. Your wedding photos should become a family heirloom for your grandchildren to admire.  Not just a snapshot in time.

2. Do your homework, prior to hiring your photographer.  Referrals are an excellent way to start.  If you've been referred to your photographer, ask your friends why they recommend that photographer and what about them were they most pleased with.   Also, was there anything about that person that they disliked.  If you've come this far, follow up some more.  Check with the Better Business Bureau to see if this person or company has had any complaints.
Find out how long the photographer has been in business and if it looks likely that they will be staying in business in the years to come.

3. Decide whether or not you like their work.  By liking their work, I mean do you like it enough to trust them to photograph your entire wedding day without giving them a "must have" list.   Must have lists are fine for family formals but  aside from those you need to give your photographer free reign to see your wedding with their own creative vision, and with eyes that you could not possibly see.  To get a good sense of this, make sure you've seen a complete wedding from beginning to end and that you love what you see.   Once you trust your photographer, you will feel much more at ease, letting them "do what they do" on your wedding day.

4. Meet your potential photographer.  Make sure that you actually meet the person who will be photographing your wedding and spending the majority of the day with you.   Your personalities MUST mesh.  If they rub you the wrong way, if they stand you up, if they act inappropriately during your initial meeting, it's likely that they will not be the right person for you.  Personality is HUGE!

5. Consider having an engagement session to make sure you've made the right decision.  Engagement sessions are a great way to get to know your photographer better and provide the photographer with an excellent opportunity to get to know you as a couple.  The session also allows you a little glimpse of what you can expect during the wedding.  If you love your engagement photos, then it's pretty likely you'll love your wedding photos!

 

Q. What are the most important questions a couple should ask a photographer before booking with them?

A. How long have you been photographing weddings? 
-Do you carry insurance ? 
-Do you have back up equipment in case of theft or damage?
-How many photographers will be photographing my wedding? 
-How long after my wedding will my photos be ready?  
-Will I receive the high resolution images on DVD, or will I have to buy the images directly from you? 
-Are the images edited?  If so, what does that include?  

Q. Are there any misconceptions that couples have that you'd like to clear up?

A. I suppose the biggest misconception that people have would be that hiring a friend or family member to photograph your wedding is a great way to save money. The truth is that by hiring a friend or family member (with little or no wedding experience) you risk hurting your relationship with that person by putting unrealistic expectations on them, and then feeling negative feelings of disappointment when they aren't able to deliver you with the kind of images you envision from your wedding day.
 

Q. Any upcoming news or promos you'd like to share?

A. I recently offered a big 72 hour sale on remaining 2011 wedding dates, which was a huge success.  As a result of that success, I may actually consider offering another 72 hour sale in the near future!

Q. Do you feel it is important for a couple to hire a Wedding Planner? Why?
 

A. I often suggest to clients that they consider hiring a wedding planner for at least "day of"  or "month-of" co-ordination. I strongly believe that your wedding should be an experience of joy and celebration, and not one of worry and stress.
Hiring a wedding planner can help couples not worry about the endless "little things" that need to be done, and can really help them experience the day as they envision it!


Thank you Jennifer for taking the time to be our guest! 

Jennifer Images
905-854-6000
info@jenniferimages.ca
 87 Main Street North
Unit 2
Campbellville, ON
L0P 1B0

1 comment:

Jennifer Cavagna said...

Thank you Denise for featuring me!